Monday 6 December 2010

Under the bonnet..........

I looked under the bonnet today!  I had to go and ask how...it is easy...but when you have never done it.



I have been trying to fit a Sterling A2B charger.  In the instruction it is easy...but in the real world!  Just remove the alt 2 batt cable - plug in this magic box and run 2 patch cables, cable A to lorry batts and cable B to domestic batts.  Simples, er NO - there is no alt 2 lorry battery cable.  After disconnecting all but one big red cable, I fired up and checked voltage @ 28v so alt is working.  After following 'big red' I find it goes to started and there is small patch sharing connection going to B1+ terminal on alt, there is also cable going to dash(hidden) from terminal B2+.  So remove small patch and run a separate wire from B1+ to the 'Magic Box'.  Fuck all happens when I turn the key.  Bollox to it, I am a mechanic I use spanners, not all this electrickery.

Been thinking B1+ and B2+ are alternator outputs so logically if, loom cable from B2+ is moved down to the starter(thus being indirectly connected to lorry batts) and the terminal b2+ blanked off).  Leaving B1+ to connect to 'Magic Box' then all should work!?!  I also did some googling B1+ and B2+ are just outputs and there is no change in output voltage, according to spec sheets.

Have to wait till Saturday to try this.  Or do it by generator light, no sod it too cold - it's waited this long.  It's is going to be a long weekend as there is lots of jobs need doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment